Beginner's Guide to Building a Website From Scratch in Less Than 10 Minutes With HostGator:
1. Visit www.HostGator.com (link will open in new tab or window to allow you to continue to follow these steps).
If you already have a HostGator account or don't need to be stepped through the signup process you can skip right to Step 11 after logging into your account. If you don't already have an account you can use coupon code WEBQUICKIES9 at checkout for a discount of 9 dollars on qualified packages or WEBQUICKIES25 for a 25% discount on qualified packages.
2. Select Domains from the menu bar.
3. Search for a domain name for your website (HostGator will tell you if the domain is available or not)
4. Once you find a domain name that is available, click on "Add to cart"
5. The domain will be added to your cart. Select the cart icon.
6. You will see the domain in your cart along with other options such as privacy protection.
7. Once you have made your selections and entered any coupon codes, select "Complete Order"
8. Select "New Customer" to create a new HostGator Account
9. Enter your billing information and select "Create Account"
10. During the checkout process you will want to choose a hosting package in order to publish your content. There are several hosting packages offered. Pick the most basic one for now as you can upgrade it at anytime. Once checkout is complete you will be at the HostGator Billing and Support Screen. If not you can select the Billing/Support Login. Along the left hand side you will see a list of options.
11. Under "Hosting Packages" on the left side of the screen, select "View Hosting Packages"
12. This will show you your hosting package. From here you will want to click on the cPanel Login Link. You can also access the cPanel directly by typing in your domain name followed by /cpanel. For example: www.mynewdomain.com/cpanel
13. You will now be at the Control Panel Screen. There is an overwhelming list of options, but our focus is to get a website up and running quickly. To do this, scroll down to the section titled "Software/Services" and click on the Weebly Site Builder icon.
14. You will now select your site and click "Create Account"
15. You will see a warning that anything on the domain will be overwritten. Since this is a brand new domain there will be nothing on it anyway so you can just Select "OK" to continue.
16. The next screen that comes up is the editor. If you like the default design of the website you can move onto step 18. If you would like to see what other designs are available select "Design" at the top, then select "Change Theme" from the left.
17. There will be a list of themes to scroll through. This screen allows you preview different themes and modify colors of the themes. Scroll through the list, find one you like and select "Choose." For this example I will be sticking with the default theme.
18. You are now at the Home Page of your website. At the top of the screen enter the title for your webpage. Notice the options that come up when you hover over the title. I am going to leave my title as text, but you can also choose to insert a logo or turn off the title.
19. Below the title is the header, upload whatever image you would like displayed on your home page by clicking the edit button that appears when hovering over the header.
20. Now that you have your header, scroll down the page a bit. There is a section that says "Drag Elements Here". Elements are all of the options you see to the left. You can drag any of the elements into your webpage. I would recommend spending some time experimenting with the elements. For our quick webpage I'm going to drag over the "Text" element.
21. After your Text Element is in place, select inside of the text box and type whatever you would like to share with the world. When hovering over the text box you will notice several options that allow you to modify the size, color, and spacing of the text.
22. You now have a Title, Header, and Text for your home page but you aren't quite done yet. In order for your site to be visible to others it will have to be published. To Publish your new site select "Publish" in the upper right hand corner of the screen. A message will appear once the process is complete.
That's it, you're done! Browse out to your new website and check it out! Remember, anytime you want to make changes to your site you will need to publish it in order for visitors to see them.